Rare SNES White Label Cart Variants. A look at Majesco the Super Nintendo

Episode 31 – White label SNES carts. Are they real? Who made them? Do they taste like candy canes? In this episode, I answer the first two question giving the history of the seldom discussed white label no frills SNES games.

Follow me on twitter to keep up to date on the latest happenings concerning this channel. Also for those post containing the occasional farm animal.

-Jenovi
Retro Impressions

Original hardware is always used when capturing console footage.

::::: Hardware Breakdown ::::
The following hardware was used to capture footage for this episode
Super Nintendo

Video was Captured using:
Scart via the Framemeister though the Elgato HD 60

Retro Impressions
-Jenovi

Footage of Pixelvault

1. Jenovi 9 months ago

A quick note. My list of Majesco released games is by no means complete. It also contains an error listing Castlevania 4 twice and under Capcom instead of the correct Konami.

2. Damien G unit 9 months ago

Respect G unit family siccooper sent me 🤙🤙💰💰cool as FAck

3. Lunitaproductions 9 months ago

Finally a retro channel who explains well with images & examples instead of talking in front of the camera making it boring

4. Mark Constable 9 months ago

Didn’t the same thing happen to activision games on the atari 2600

5. maneco88 9 months ago

Lovely Puerto Rico <3

6. Fleabitten 9 months ago

fantastic vid. I was one of those poor kids in the late 90s that got my hands on Majesco rereleases more often than not. I really appreciate them to the point that I'd choose the rubbish labels over glossy originals for my personal collection.

7. Jack Lazzaro 9 months ago

¡Jesú Cristo! México!? The manufacturing of Majesco carts was done in Mexico? I did not see that coming!

8. DragonGrafx-16 9 months ago

I have a few carts with the molded text on the back. I always wondered why that was.

9. guitarboyjeff 9 months ago

🤯 I did not know these ever existed!!!!!! 😧

10. James Chessman 9 months ago

Dope video. Loved the background music, where was it from?

11. David M 9 months ago

Holy shit. Those look like bootlegs!

12. Brandon Reina 9 months ago

What?

No Barbie Super Model?

13. Archon 1981 9 months ago

Do you know if anyone is keeping a list of which games got the white label?

14. georgiaridgerunner 79 9 months ago

This is cool bit of history that I was unaware of… I wish like hell someone would start making legal reproductions of nes and snes games again… There are some very expensive games out there… That the prices fluctuate on…what I've noticed is some YouTuber will mention a game and then the price will spike for awhile then when the buzz dies the price drops…but it doesn't drop back as low as it pre buzz spike… A good example of this is when Mike matei over on cinemasscre repeated some uninvestigated internet claim about the game hagane being a blockbuster exclusive…we now know that he in all likelihood got false information( probably from a predatory reseller) as there is no known documentation of blockbuster ever having any agreement with Hudson soft about the game… not to mention the hagane box doesn't mention blockbuster video period…Won't get into the poor business strategy that would have been… Hopefully someday soon the major game manufacturers will wake up and realize that the mini systems are great but there are people that want a full-size console that will play the original carts… The ability to buy legal roms and play them on an original manufacturer produced flash cart would be just amazing…sure it's been done before but I'd be absolutely ecstatic to be able to go and buy a new retro console and flash cart produced by an original manufacturer point being is they're losing potentially hundreds of millions by not cashing in on the retro/nostalgia craze…

15. NoTalont 9 months ago

Learned something new about the SNES today

16. Saad Azim 9 months ago

Whoah! I owned a Majesco re-release of Castlevania IV, though I didn't know it at the time. Though the "production value" of the packaging & manual did make me raise an eyebrow. 😀

17. Paul C 9 months ago

Awesome video! Morris started the whole company by selling close out batteries and lightbulbs.

18. Emmett Turner 9 months ago

Nintendo and Sega moved their manufacturing to Mexico as a result of NAFTA. Rather than build their own manufacturing plants, they partnered with Majesco. Majesco was a silent partner producing on contract for both major players. This is why they were already tooled up when they got the rights to publish and re-release games. Some of this is reading between the lines, but you know it’s true. 🙂

19. Pixel Vault Studios 9 months ago

Great informative content.

20. jevansturner 9 months ago

I have a strong suspicion that Nintendo contracted with Majesco on the "made-in-Mexico" first party games too. The switch to Mexico was almost certainly because of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). If Majesco's operation was already present there, it would make sense for Nintendo to partner with them. As a partner, Nintendo would surely require higher quality standards (color manuals and such), but still we started getting non-glossy paper labels with the first-party games.

21. Brian King 9 months ago

I had no idea about these! Very cool. Great video

22. TwistC 9 months ago

I thought my copy of scooby doo mystery was a replaced label for years and I almost threw it out before having a friend do some research and us finding out about these white label carts. Its very interesting and I hope people think twice before throwing these out for preserving or selling

23. PersianImm0rtal 9 months ago

awesome video, love the snes!

24. Retro Game Players 9 months ago

Great video, had no idea about these labels! It reminds me of the generic brands like Western Family or Always Save with the word BEER printed on the cans

25. Paul McCarthy 9 months ago

Add me to the list of people who learned something new today! So in regards to the candy-cane label games, were they sold in the same style SNES box? If so, I got to say if my 15 year old self bought what looked like a brand new SNES game and got home to find that white label, I would be a little upset.

26. Mike L 9 months ago

So 14 people bought a brand new snes in 2001?

27. Rex Warden 9 months ago

I was more interested in Majesco re-issuing Sega hardware like the Game Gear. I've got one Majesco GG, and one Sega GG, both in dire need of re-capping and the new fancy replacement screens well beyond what I feel like paying for.

28. mechabubba 9 months ago

this vid is really great! i previously didn't know about these, so i learned something new. subbed!

29. Lucas Sosa 9 months ago

Great video! I never seen cartridges with that labels, is interesting how the SNES games was distributed in the late 90s

30. Derek Moore 9 months ago

Is there a part 4 planned for your History of Sega series?

31. Vince19 9 months ago

Wow man…good video. How do you come up with these topics?! I never thought I'd be learning about variations in cartridge manufacturing. Good stuff.

32. Golan Klinger 9 months ago

Very informative. Well done!

33. TownLine Tim 9 months ago

Wow! I had no idea these cartridges even existed. This whole video was a fun learning experience. That's what I love about your channel keep those videos coming.

34. Candi's Classic Game Shrine 9 months ago

Had no idea white label variants existed. Love learning new things like this! Great video, man. Keep it up!

35. Objectorbit 9 months ago

Never heard of the white label stuff before. Wow.

36. Objectorbit 9 months ago

You, uh, not only listed Castlevania 4 twice, but you also listed it under two slightly different names and under Capcom.

37. Fabio Hache 9 months ago

Your Channel is awesome, you dont copy and paste content, like is common in YouTube.

38. Russell Loasby 9 months ago