Setting Inventory Icons – #19 Creating A Survival Horror (Unreal Engine 4)

This is episode 19 of our series going over how we can create a survival horror game using Unreal Engine 4 from scratch. We’ll be going over how to create various mechanics built around the game.

In today’s episode we go over how you can start to add icons to our inventory system from our photoshop document. Having said that we:

– Replace the icons
– Export icons from photoshop
– Set up the functionality to change icons based on the slot ID

Unreal Engine 4 Beginner Tutorial Series:

Survival Horror Game Assets:
Pickup Textures –
Heads Up Display Assets –
Battery Pickup Item –

Blueprints Creations Series

Next Video
In the next video we’ll be changing the icons in the inventory bar so they fit with the items in our inventory!

Don’t forget you can help support the channel on Patreon!

Virtus Learning Hub // Media
Youtube Channel –
Facebook Page –
Twitter Page –
Google Plus –

1. Musical Tea 9 months ago

I'm late but I need some help my log image stays after dropping the item how do I remove it

2. Howie J 9 months ago

If you want to set brush in the binding function instead of tick, just give it a return value, or it will constantly return null and cover your drawings with blank brush. That's why it cannot work in the video.
    Here is my method: connect the switch node directly to return node, and connect "make brush from texture" to return value.
    Basically "set brush from texture" does work but it is immediately covered by blank brush if you don't give a return value. But why does "set color and opacity" work? Because color and opacity is independent with brush. A blank brush does not affect color and opacity.

3. KRISKATA 9 months ago

Please help i am trying over 2 hours to solve this problem: Property Brush Delegate on Widget Inventory1: Member:GetSlot1item Has the wrong number of arguments. it needs to return 1 value and take no parameters. PLESE HELP ME GUYS I AM SO SAD NOW 🙁

4. Ahmed Rahmani 9 months ago

hey bro I'm Ahmed from Pakistan and trying to develop a similar app as in your this video tutorial. but my situation is bit different from yours. Because i''m beginner so I want some help from you to continue. please can you help me??

5. Christopher Madi 9 months ago

imo, instead of adding a check every x sec , better to change the image at object pickup and discarding

6. Nureddin Gamer 9 months ago

when I could not find the empty inventory in the assets I used a Minecraft empty inventory photo 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

7. Nureddin Gamer 9 months ago

actually, when you set the delay duration on 0 it does not change color

8. Solky 9 months ago

hello , when i press "play" , i see the white image and she disapear ( for you , she is called Inventory 1 ) I can't remove the white before starting , can someone help me ? Thanks

9. V5Games 9 months ago

Hmm, I cant seem to get more than one item type to appear in the inventory at the same time. I dont think this system is very effective for multiple items

10. Timo S 9 months ago

i just dont get why i need to use the tick event to make it work propably. Why cant i swap the set color and opacity with set brush from texture? pls help – this is driving me crazy.

11. D LocK 9 months ago

still havent figured out the inventory problems…just cant seem to get the inventory icons to pop up correctly

12. D LocK 9 months ago

Thanks man! Inventory still a lil weird but im not worried, ready to start creating my level! 😀

13. Leonardo Oro 9 months ago

Where to download textures, and fbxs, key woods, etc? Channel is abandoned the staff does not get answers?

14. RossRoo 9 months ago

when i drop an item the other items pick it up how to stop this?

15. Pixigh 9 months ago

ok for any one having a issue with adding other slots and when you drop it it show a woodhere the fix:
    1- open graph for your widget
    2-go to the part on clicked button
    3-search for spawn actor
    4- change the spawn actor form woodinv to your new actor(key) and chose the slot that you want to
    and now when you drop the key ex: if you chose slot 2 and change the spawn actor to key that you create it will drop the key not the wood

16. AlejandroStick Games 9 months ago

How do I place the other objects? Can someone please help me

17. J Mad 9 months ago

I can only discard when my inventory is full? How do I fix? If I have 4 slots filled with wood and try to discard the wood just shuffles to another slot, can someone help me out

18. J Mad 9 months ago

I was killing it Intil this tutorial, I have no clue wtf I did wrong, when I discard it discards onto the screen but fills up my 4 slots with colours and the 1st slot keeps the log icon, what did I fuck up, pls help me

19. BTbr0adband Gaming Channel 9 months ago

picking up a 2nd item wont change the slot image ?????

20. anti 9 months ago

I'm sorry but most of the scripts in this video are just so wrong and hardcoded :/ You shouldn't teach people how to hardcode but rather how to write functions. It's just my opinion and some criticism to this specific video.

21. steven paranormal visitors 9 months ago

Mine worked when his didn't at 10:38 Also for all those who has realized he hasn't put in the Empty png file on his download even when hes completed at episode 51 here is a link.. Just right click and save to your selected folder Also when importing double click it an change its Alpha (opacity) down to like 0.23 https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1920&bih=974&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=blank+png&oq=blank+png&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l4.81044.84548.0.84779.9.9.0.0.0.0.59.475.9.9.0….0…1.1.64.psy-ab..0.9.474…0i67k1.kEaTqMM_LNs#imgrc=l_FTR0Uz8UNxxM:

22. Arya Gowda 9 months ago

Where do I find the materials for the tinderbox?

23. Tayte Morrison 9 months ago

How do i do this to the second slot which is key. If i put a sequence in the event tick on the survival hud it does not work. I have the other right but can't get event tick right at all. Pls help great tutorials but really should have shown people how to do the 2nd slot at least. Ive also tried branch in the event tick and it still hasn't worked.

24. Nakayuma Akiyama 9 months ago

My other slots still show blue, not sure why I have been through all the videos and cant see what I did wrong. Any advice?

25. Tucker Boyd 9 months ago

Does anyone know where the link is to the 'emptyinventory' asset he made in photoshop? Seems to be the only way I can find to make it work and the link just isnt there. He should really include the links for people to be able to follow along perfectly.

26. Elite Arsenal 9 months ago

for whatever reason I don't have set brush from texture. Please help!

27. GEO METALHEAD 9 months ago

i dont have empty inventory texture can someone plz send me a link just for this?

28. omergnl 9 months ago

dude you can teach this videos content under 3 minutes… cut and clean up your videos please.. got sick of fast forwarding…

29. Arty 9 months ago

Let's say you pick up your item – destroy on overlap – and have it saved in your inventory in a savegameBP…when starting the level again – how do you have it so that the item you placed doesn't spawn since your character already picked it up?

30. Christiaan 9 months ago

I can get the colours to work but as soon as it comes to pictures i can't make it work and I've been working on it for days

31. GamingPåHögNivå 9 months ago

is it Any way to not use the mouse ithing the scroll or 1,2,3,4,5 and then ctrl to discard. i think it takes to Long to do it with the mouse if you are in the middle of the game. pls answer

32. Chris 9 months ago

Anybody know how to add this to slots 2-5? i tried to copy/paste/sub in inventory slots 2-5 where appropriate, open a new window and attach a new event tick. I am really confused as to what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

33. IcyCrypt 9 months ago

here are all the things u need https://mega.nz/#!Y01TUa6K!iDo7Gh2V3F6f6mTZSvzRPNo2RA7059Miw0IvF7JgRno

34. Abul Hasnath 9 months ago

Hi, Love your videos

Having an issue with the button. i managed to add the on click for the first button by following step by step but when i try to do it for the next button it does not work or duplicates the pick up, or only shows in inventory 2. This is the event tick one.

35. Castor Holyday 9 months ago

I pressed dislike yes it's meeee !

36. Jakob Skøt Nielsen 9 months ago

Hi,
    I have a problem with the discard function..
    I can't drop any items before the inventory is full.
    If I try and do it before it's full, it will just fill up the inventory until it's full again.
    Thanks in advance!

37. Crystal Lewis 9 months ago

Thank you for all your help!!!

38. HyljeKlubi 9 months ago

Okay i got the inventory all setup. I also figured out how to use structures and data tables to create and sort out my items. And i managed to use your pick up system to pick them up too. So thats good.

But what im thinking is to implement a way to pick up item, without always making a huge bunch of code for each different item. How would i do that? Some sort of functions?

39. Rahul Singh 9 months ago

addd more videos

40. MrSpirit517 9 months ago

You have extremely appealing voice. I could listen to you all day 🙂
    Thank you for making this tutorials. Cheers.

41. schmiddy1998 9 months ago

hey man, just found your channel and it looks like there's heaps for me to learn :D, i was just wanting to know if you have any vids on adding weapons, weapon pickups and weapon animations? definitely subbing 🙂

42. Harold W 9 months ago

Hey man great vid as always,
    Just a question though, will using all these tick events take a toll on game performance at all.